Prev: FT Computer Core - New Upload Next: Fleet book

Re: Morale rules

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 12:25:58 -0400
Subject: Re: Morale rules

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Los wrote:
>
> > Do you remember that game TACOPS? Not a bad game but it had NO
morale
> > rules. The designer thought that players didn't want to be bothered
with
> > them
>
> Actually, I agree with this view. Many gamers (as opposed to
> simulationists) intensily dislike morale rules and typically morale
> rules, confidence checks etc. is the part of the game that is
forgotten
> in the heat of the action.

Agreed that they are a pain, but they also add something to the game
that
simply "counting bullets" doesn't get across.  In any event, the
'simpler
is better' doesn't make sense here because TacOPS (at least the version
I'm familiar with) is a computer game, so we don't have to fiddle with
all the counters.

Actually, that was one thing that attracted me to DSII, and SGII to a
lesser extant; the morale rules are pretty easy to keep track of.
Much better than counters on a track sheet, or trying to figure
out who has tempo/momentum at any given point in the turn.  (Though,
I should give GMT and VG points for trying hard, and it is
different between board games and minature games.)

Besides, how else can you replay scenarios where a bunch of hardened,
cynical mercernaries destroys the armed forces of several planets?
(Okay, maybe I'm getting silly here.  (8-) )

J.

--
Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"There's only now, there's only here, give in to love, or live in fear.

Prev: FT Computer Core - New Upload Next: Fleet book