Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Re:morale rules (in TACOPS)

Re: Back to Platoon Leaders

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:38:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Back to Platoon Leaders

John Atkinson wrote:

> >Given that it is generally accepted that all troops will have built
> in
> >helmet radios, the sight of the LT running up the hill with the Sig
> >trailing along behind, joined by the umbilical of a hand set lead
> will
> >not be seen on the battlefield of 2188!

The only possible exception might be if you want to talk to orbit. But
then again you would eitehr have a relay man/site or that would be the
FOC/FSC( Foward Ortillery/space controller) with his specialized kit.

> >In most TO&Es the HQ squad becomes more of a support squad, perhaps

I think these ideas are very good. In a one-leader platoon, I like to
have at least some of the heavy weapons attached directly to me as the
platoon leader. (I take them away from the squads if necessary,
depending on the org being worked with. )

And it's a good idea to have the Platoon Sgt or 2IC working with the
support element. In many undertrained or third worlkd armies, the
platoon leader likes to stay with the heavy weapons squad and direct
fire, as opposed to most "1st world" armies, where the platoon leader
will be with the assault or manuever element. Either they view Fire as
the main effort to the attack, or it's a safer place to be than with the
assaulting element.

Either way, with the platoon sgt directing your supporting fires you
know you have someone with a good head back there that will make sure
your support element shifts fire in time when you reach the objective to
keep your own guys for getting shot. Lots of snuffies get a "red haze'
over their eyes when they start firing. Or worse when you are in real
contact you would be surprised on how many guys won't even shoot because
they either don't see readily discernable targets or they're scared.
Either way, a platoon Sgt can provide the size ten motivation to direct
their fire.

That brings me to another interesting observation about wargames. You
really miss the danger of friendly fire in them. Something like if your
manuever element is within x cm of the target, there' is an XX% chance
that some/all fire will shift and hit them. Of coursethen your into an
ASL-thick rulesbook. <g>

Los

Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Re:morale rules (in TACOPS)