Prev: Re: Mines 8 (!) Next: Re: Mobile mines

Re: Mines 8 (!)

From: "Christopher E. Ronnfeldt" <zephyr@t...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 02:42:05 -0700
Subject: Re: Mines 8 (!)

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Thomas E Hughes wrote:
>
> > Colonel Fertig of "American Guerilla in the Philippines" tells that
they
> > used the explosives from washed up mines for reloading their ammo.
It
> > gave quite a kick. As a matter of fact the local curtain rods were
.30
> > cal so they cut them into bullet lengths and the women sat and
rubbed
> > them against rocks until they were pointy. This is how they reloaded
> > their .30 cal ammo before the US got back in touch with them ( the
US
> > never did give them all the stuff they needed.)
> >
> > It just goes to show you how little "tech" you need for reloads!
>
> What did they use for primers?
>
> Somehow I get they feeling that stealing enemy supplies would have
been
> easier...

There were a few problems with stealing enemy supplies:

1) The Japanese Arisaka rifle was a 6.5mm - less punch and ammo not
compatable w/ Springfield and Garand rifles.

2) Japanese leaders quickly learned not to send out troops w/ excess
ammo.

Neither of these is insurmountable, and USFIP did steal IJA weapons and
ammunition. The use of oddball low-tech reloads for for .30-06 weapons
was done primarily for the purpose of keeping as many weapons in use as
possible.

Chris

Prev: Re: Mines 8 (!) Next: Re: Mobile mines