Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: SG2 Unit Coherency Question

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:38:25 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

You wrote:

>Most bolt action military rifles were .30 cal (7.62mm) and the old
mussel >loaders were even larger calibers (.56cal? 14.22mm?) I would
suggest it >would be more accurate to have a higher Impact d10 or d12
even to reflect >the heavier calibers.

Nao, can't believe that a black-powder weapon has same impact as a
gauss rifle.  Larger caliber, but _much_ lower muzzle velocity.  Leave
it d8 or so.

>Why not give the low tech troopers really good close assault weapons
like >bayonets, entrenching shovels (re:WWI) and or a shot gun or two.
I >beleive these would be classed as terror weapons.

Feh.  Not likely.  We already discussed this.  Bladed weapons are
already taken into account in the reaction and confidence checks in the
normal Stargrunt rules.

>NATO Pltn: 3 6/7 man sqds, a MG & sniper team (Lt & Sqd sargent for HQ
>sqd!)

Which NATO forces have such _small_ squads?  I know US Light Infantry
is 9-man squads.  USMC is 13, IIRC.  Plus US Army platoon HQ is (LT,
PSG, RTO), MG team (2xM-60 teams, SAW, M-203) and often a medic.  The
only time you'd have a 6-man squad is a US Army mechanized infantry
platoon, and they 1)Wouldn't go on a pilot recovery unless they were
already close to it, 2)Would bring their Bradleys along for fire
support, 3)Not many Serbs would be stupid enough to tangle with
that-four 25mm chain guns will ruin your day.  Plus NATO forces have a
nasty tendency to have air support on call when doing stuff like this.
It's a good scenario idea, but to call the hi-techers NATO causes too
many problems.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: SG2 Unit Coherency Question