Prev: RE: Mines 8 (!) Next: RE: Mines 8 (!)

Re: Mines 8 (!)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:49:08 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Mines 8 (!)

You wrote:

>I recall seeing a documentary about Kursk, in which an elderly Red
Army >sapper said that Soviet war-produced mines were so edgy and
unsafe that they >preferred to use German ones nocturnally
"appropriated" from minefields!

>Such a practice might happen on the kind of outback world you mention

1)It's not something I would do under fire, hence it will not normally
show up in a Dirtside II game.	And even if someone tried, the scale
would be more appropriate to Stargrunt.

2)99% of militaries in the 22nd century have perfectly good
night-vision gear.  Modern US hunters have damn good stuff, I would not
find it surprising to see them as common as hunting rifles on remote
colonies.

3)Regular engineers are not trained to defuze enemy mines.  I have only
one option when dealing with enemy mines, and that is to blow them in
place.	Special Forces, EOD, et al might disarm them, and guerillas or
long-term veterans may learn to do so, but it's not a real bright idea
generally.  Especially with modern anti-handling devices.  There is an
Italian AHD which is keyed to the magnetic field of the earth.	Move
the mine 4 feet in any direction after it's armed, and BOOM.  And it's
internal, hence impossible to notice.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Mines 8 (!) Next: RE: Mines 8 (!)