Prev: RE: Mines 8 (!) Next: Re: Mines 8 (!)

RE: Mines 6

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:33:08 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Mines 6

You wrote:

>1. Robotic minfields, ie- minefields that can get up and move

Wierd. . . But I'd be really hesitant about that for removal purposes.
I mean, as an Engineer I'm expected to go back into a minefield and
take it apart when I no longer need it.  What's the point of winning a
war if you can't use what you've taken because civillians keep going
boom?  If it's moving around then a map becomes REAL irrelevant real
fast.  If that's not a concern, then by all means allow minefields to
creep 1 inch per turn.

>2. IFF minefields - they're smart enough to know friend from foe
>3. Really smart mines (RSMs for short) - they wait for the best
target; >anti-pers would go after leaders or support weapons; anti
-vehicle might >do something where they detonate only under the last
vehicle

2 & 3 come in the WAM post, which ain't out yet. (Wide Area Munition).
The basic philosophy of mines is cheap and cheerful.  The more
sophisticated WAMs will have all sorts of fun options.

>4. Cruel anti-pers mines that would only injure someone, when someone
>came to help the person he/she would get injured too

Hrm. . . You mean like the M14?  Non-metallic, with an ounce of Tetryl
as the main charge, and "Not designed to kill, but to penetrate boot
and foot" (FM 20-32, HQ, DA)  I figured showing specific mine effects
at the Dirtside scale would be inappropriate.  If I play enough
Stargrunt to get familliar enough with it to try my hand at mine rules,
I would of course go into more detail and include toe-poppers.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Mines 8 (!) Next: Re: Mines 8 (!)