Prev: Re: Full Steam Next: Re: Obstacles

Re: bayonettes are too a useful device

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:50:03 -0500
Subject: Re: bayonettes are too a useful device

On Tue, 12 May 1998 11:10:59 -0500 (CDT) jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
Atkinson) writes:
>You wrote:
>
>>Not quite. All it takes is a .50 cal and the ROE that lets you even
>>consider using it. For those who remember the Philadelphia paper
>
>Fire over their heads--that gets one's attention, from what I recall
>of
>Basic Training, with that 'sandbox' and drill sergeants firing about 9
>
>feet over my head.  Tracers always seem a lot lower than they really
>are.  After that, well if it's a choice between being dismembered and
>facing a court of inquiry, I'll take the investigation any day.
>
>John M. Atkinson

If you fire a .50 cal in the situation you described you will probably
kill about 5/10 civilians who are just siting on the roof tops watching
all the fun, and harming no one! The bullets come down somewhere, and if
you aren't aiming at someone then they may well hit some poor child
playing in his/her crib. If you live anywhere near one of our Yankee
urban ghettos you may well have already heard the story on the evening
news where pistol bullets have done this.  GOOD troop commanders try to
train their troops to stop short of this idiocy.  It's stupid to over
react.

Tom Hughes

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: Full Steam Next: Re: Obstacles