Prev: RE: Stargrunt/Dirtside Next: Re: Full Steam

Re: bayonettes are too a useful device

From: los@c...
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:11:32 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: bayonettes are too a useful device

>On Tue, 12 May 1998 05:59:57 -0500 (CDT), jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
>Atkinson) wrote:
>
>>Sounds cute--but how realistic?  How often do crowds seriously resist
>>troops trying to put them down?

I don't know did you read the news today?

Anyway since we're on the subject of riot control it would make a
perfectly
feasible scenario in a SGII type campaign game. Especially where a force
is
required to watch over a planet there's never enough guys to go around
and
squads or teams often get detailed with jobs like check pointy security,
armed escort, cordon and search,  etc. etc. It would make a good early
scenario in an escalating UW campaign. These types of OOTW (Operations
Other
Than War) have been the bane of an infantyman's existance since the dawn
of
time, and no doubt will continue to be so into the future. You know
you're
not fighting Stalingrad of Cannae every day of your military career. You
could very well find yourself with a fireteam or squad against several
thousand angry mobsters throwing rocks. With more people than
ammunition.
Cutting loose on full auto will more than likely wind you up in Jail if
the
crowd doesn't get you first. REMEMBER these dudes are usually at five
feet
from you start with. I speak of mucho experience.

As far as painting up civilians, why bother? Just use all those extra
nappy's you have lying around. Throw in a couple of Gs or terrorists
with
real weapons and it makes the scenbario that much more interesting. <g>
Crowd control can get interesting when you get to aliens also.

Prev: RE: Stargrunt/Dirtside Next: Re: Full Steam