Prev: Re: Dolphins In Space (BRIN) [ Some SPOILERS for "Startide Rising " ] Next: Re: MicroMachines Re: [SGII] 10mm,15mm,20mm minis & VOTOMs

Fleet Book

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:26:20 +1000
Subject: Fleet Book

Greetings all,

I know people have already given their reviews of the Fleet Book but
after
just getting my grubby little hands on one, I thought I'd give thoughts.

I've read most of the new rules, and glanced through the rest of the
book.

The new rules: love them. Can't get enough of them. The movement system
strikes me as a good balance between "movie" and "realism" and also
seems to
me to be instinctive, though I haven't played it yet. It's finally a joy
though to be able to have a ship travelling _sideways_...  As for the
rest,
I think they are good additions without adding unnecessary clutter to
the
game. I'm itching to try them out.

Alas... being a designer, I seriously wish there could be improvement in
the
look of the books. I don't know who the designers are beyond the credit,
and
I don't mean any disrespect, but to me the layout seems a bit - well,
being
blunt - old. A bit tired. Okay, there's only so much that can be done in
black and white, but something a bit jazzier would be much appreciated
by
someone like me who appreciates the look as well as the content. It's a
minor quibble.	Please don't anyone take offence!

Otherwise, a sturdy good book that's been long awaited and, for me, adds
some really good new dimensions to the game. Now begins the wait for
Bugs
Don't Surf.. :)

PS: I picked up an Omega today. Phewie!! What a jumble!  While still a
sexy
looking ship, the casting is a bit off and the two stand idea.. well...
could have been better handled. Not as lead heavy as some of the GZG
ships
(especially the NSL monsters) but still a worth addition. Shame about
the
price...

----
Jeremy Sadler: jsadleratearthlingdotnet (You can work it out)
Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site:
http://nemesis.com.au/fastjax/stargrunt

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.  Then I
thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible
things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?  So, now
take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the
universe." - J. Michael Straczynski