Prev: GZG 15mm review & conversions (longish) Next: I need Bayonets on my GZG figures!!

Re: Stargrunt/Dirtside

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:40:45 +0000
Subject: Re: Stargrunt/Dirtside

John Atkinson wrote:
> Got my copy of Stargrunt a few days ago, so pardon the newbie
> questions, but I'm trying to work out TO&Es which are usable for
> both DS and SG.  Easy with the unarmored infantry (squad=2 Dirtside
> teams, 1 rifle team=4 men). But the Power Armor is driving me up
> the wall.  The only way I can see to make it work with a 6-man squad
> of power armor is to call a team of PA 3 men, and reconfigure all my
> APCs to carry 2 elements of Powered Armor.  Which only works (Folks,

Or a four man PA rifle/assault team and a two man PA heavy weapon
team.

> I'm NOT trying to use a size 4 APC for a single squad!) if you use
> the SG construction rules and an element of PA takes up 6 points of
> space, not 8.  Anyone think this would be too unbalancing?  This
> kinda limits the firepower of this APC to a GAC/1.  But how much
> fire support does it need?

I always design vehicles under the SG rules, if your going to use the
same TOE for both games it's the only way to go.

> APFCs--how would I represent these in Stargrunt?

The anti-IAVR properties can be represented by upping the armour of
the vehicle vs those attacks. The anti-Infantry by using the rules
for claymores, (um, er, CDMs are they called in SG?)

> APSWs--don't appear to have an equivelant in Stargrunt.  All the
> Stargrunt machine guns are one-man affairs, LMGs.  Or is an APSW
> team a team armed with 4xSAWs?  What happened to crew-served support
> weapons short of light AT guns (RFAC/1)?

Yeah this is a problem. We had a big debate about it earlier this
year. Look in Jerry's archives. In short SG SAWs and DS APSWs serve
the same function in the rules despite the fact that they represent
different classes of weapons. SAWs are LMGs and APSWs are HMGs. LMGs
are factored into the standard rifle team in DS2 but HMGs are absent
from SG2.

The other support weapons, (AGL and PPG/I) are more or less like
combined APSW/IAVR when converted to DS2, though I tend to reduce the
range. I'll dig up my exact stats and post them.

I have some rules for Heavy Support Weapons (HMGs etc.) which are
still undergoing change as a result of that debate I mentioned above.
When finished I'll put them on my mythical SG site.

> Finally, IAVRs and GMS/Ps.  In Dirtside all your good infantry (and
> some of your crappy infantry) carries IAVRs.	In Stargrunt GMS/Ps
> are issued at the rate of 1 per squad and screw the IAVRs.  I'm
> working on the basis that to qualify as carrying IAVRs in Dirtside,
> several have to be carried by the Stargrunt team.  And 1 GMS/P would
> translate to. . . I'm torn between a 1 or 2 chit GMS/L or 1
> GMS/P=Dirtside IAVRs.  Whatever.  Comments?

In SG2 it's less book keeping to keep track of a 3 shot GMS/P than it
is to keep track of a squad with one IAVR per trooper.
The infantry rocket line on the SG2 weapons chart gives the stats for
IAVRs (and for reloadable rocket launchers). I treat the GMS/P as a 2
chit, 12" GMS in DS2. Points costs 10,15,20.

	cheers,
			Steve
 I never answer letters and you don't like my tie."  - The Doctor

Stephen Richard Pugh	 http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16

Prev: GZG 15mm review & conversions (longish) Next: I need Bayonets on my GZG figures!!