Prev: RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of Next: GZG Phone number

Re: Lunar combat (was: Re: [OT] Moon Dragon Review?)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 22:17:22 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: Re: Lunar combat (was: Re: [OT] Moon Dragon Review?)

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> like an aerospace craft in atmosphere. Though I've forgotten an awful
lot
> of physics in the last 20 years, am I right in thinking that on an
airless
> world the higher you fall from the faster/harder you will impact,
given
> that there is a constant acceleration imparted by gravity and there is
no
> air drag to produce a terminal velocity effect?

Yup. Though it must be said that the orbital velocities on moon are
rather low... I think 2.5km/s is enough for elliptical orbit.

> A proper-physics lunar combat game could be fun.... :)

Perhaps, but my experience suggests that finding players for
proper-physics *anything* is nigh impossible. They either hate the
calculus, or they hate not being in control (which comes out of not
doing
the calculus). A fully computerized game with simply controls (like
Asteroids) might be popular just for laughs...

Hmmm... maybe I should write proper-physics vector movement system for
FT
(starting with ditching instant acceleration and discrete time) just to
see
if one of the vector system proponents would really try it.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of Next: GZG Phone number