Prev: Re: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Future of the UFTWWWP?

Re: Obstacles, Part 3

From: NVDoyle <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 22:23:42 EDT
Subject: Re: Obstacles, Part 3

Um, realizing that there is a problem with the measure/countermeasure
argument
- it can go on ad infinitum.  How about just mines and mine-clearing
equipment, of several grades of effectiveness? (Basic, Enhanced,
Superior?)

However, don't stop the ideas - they are neat.

Another DS2 argument I want to start.  I postulate that high-power,
reliable
battlefield DEWs (Directed Energy Weapons - laser, particle beam, etc)
will
render the vast majority of close support aircraft obsolete and dead,
very
quickly.
Why?
1) If you can see it, you can hit it.  In fact, it's pretty much the
same
operation.  I'm not saying that lasers can't miss, but it's easier to
paint a
plane/copter/whatever with a targeting laser than it is to put
steel/tungsten/DU/BCSD on target.
2) Conventional aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing, have real weight
problems.  Armor does not help this.  And ablative is probably not real
aerodynamic.
3) Anti-laser aerosols, while effective against targeting lasers, simply
cannot stop a laser poweful enough to kill a plane/copter/APC.	But
here, I
could also as easily say that it can, due to tech changes.  DS2 'smoke'
is
presumed to block/hinder nearly all sensors, not just Mk1 Eyeball.

I have some rules to simulate this, esssentially
enhancements/alterations of
the ADS/Air Defense rules, that expand these systems greatly, and
provide (I
believe) a better representation of future battlefield AD environments.

Watch out for Powergun AAA.  'Nuf said.

Noah V. Doyle

Prev: Re: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Future of the UFTWWWP?