Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Obstacles, Part 3

RE: Obstacles, Part 3

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:05:39 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Obstacles, Part 3

You wrote:

>Infantry don't carry bangalores nor high explosives.  We do carry

Which slows the hell out of breaching ops.  I should know, I've done it
both ways.

Rocket >launchers and often have engineer or pioneer dets attached to

I'm not sure that a shoulder-fired ATRL is a real reliable way of
clearing wire.

And if you have a team or squad of engineer (and pioneer, I am not
planning to differentiate in my rules) then you use their enhanced
breaching ability to breach.  Simplicity itself.

us.  Heck, >we sometimes have big tanks beside us.  Oh, ya we even have

My rules do permit tanks to roll through wire--although Satan's Slinkie
can fsck up a tank quick if it gets into it's roadwheels and gets
caught.

wire >cutters.	My point was that Infantry do work with and against
wire so if >a wire obstacle was found they wouldn't just say 'oh no,
let's get the >engineers' they would work around it.

OK, my thinking was that first, as an Engineer who's worked with
infantry, I know I've spent a lot more time on breaching ops than they
have.  Second, we're carrying all the neat boom-boom stuff to do
breaches more rapidly with.  Third, I wanted to encourage players to
have a reason to buy engineers and preserve them for their special
abilities rather than treat them as just plain ol' Infantrymen.  The
basic wire obstacle doesn't take much to breach with infantry.	Wait
until I get my mine/booby trap rules up for the poor infantry to try to
deal with.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Obstacles, Part 3