Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 3

RE: Obstacles, Part 3

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 16:30:36 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Obstacles, Part 3

You wrote:

>Wow....engineers must be super human!	But seriously, excellent info
but >some items I question:

Yes, we are.  Why do you ask?

Engineers are equipped and trained for breaches, Infantry pogues are
not.  Absolutely not.  You can say all you like, but what percentage of
the Infantry's training time is spent on breaches?  I can tell you
Engineers spend out 50-75% of our time on it.

>Wire is not impassable to infantry, first guy jumps and lands on the
>wire, next guy runs over, or, if the wire has enough depth, he runs
over >and takes a spot a little further ahead.	This goes on until a
path is >clear (ie - everybody behind you uses you as a door matt ;-).
I think >your breaching rules would simulate this good enough.

I'm presuming your infantry have wire cutters.	And you'll have
difficulty doing that to a triple standard concertina wire fence _I've_
built, since I do it right.

>How do you reason that engineers can move half and breach obstacles?

We know what we are doing, and besides, we're using Bangalores while
the infantry are stuck with cutters.  And that's only wire.

>And how do engineers clear tanglefoot as they go through?  Are you
guys >issued wire cutters on your boots?

Since a Dirtside II turn is 15 minutes, and foot infantry is moving a
mere 200 meters, half that if you're going through Difficult terrain
(as tanglefoot is).  That leaves _more_ than ample time to cut
tanglefoot.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 3