Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: Re: FLEET BOOK

Re: DS/SG Engineers

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:20:52 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: DS/SG Engineers

You wrote:

>Especially as in WW2, minefields were often used to block areas that
>could not be covered with direct fire.

Which is exactally the opposite of the Way Things Ought To Be!

Obstacles can perform a few functions.	They can channelize the enemy
into a kill zone, they can delay the enemy to keep him in a kill zone,
and they can disrupt his attack.  If you expect it to stop him, you're
out of your mind.

And an obstacle that's not defended isn't an obstacle.	I can clear
mines no sweat if no one is shooting at me.  Not a problem.  You throw
in 122mm artillery and 7.62mm fire, and things get tricky.  Obstacles
must be covered by at least observation and indirect fire, preferable
also by direct fire.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: Re: FLEET BOOK