Prev: RE: DS/SG Engineers Next: Re: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

From: "BEST, David" <dbest@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:00:23 -0600
Subject: RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

Here's some more input/correction on all this.

Kataphractos is an alternate name for  Klibanophoros, the lesser
armoured cavalry were called Cavallaroi. The Pelstatoi term was probably
used for skirmishers and not line infantry.  Akritai were the thematic
troops,Akritai meant only that they were the border thematics and not in
the interior.  In equipment and organization they would have been the
same as the other thematics which means they would have been infantry as
well as cavalry so this might affect your unit names.

As for the Holy Roman Empire there is a famous saying (can't remember
who said it) "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman."  The
Byzantines called themselves Romans until the end although they also
increasingly called themselves Hellenes to distinguish themselves from
the "Latins". As far as the Byzantines were concerned the Basileus was
the direct descendent of Rome's Emperors and the German Emperors were
grudingly acknowledged as emperors for political/military pressure
reasons, the same as the Bulgars.  As for not calling them the Roman
Empire because they no longer held Rome...the western half of the empire
moved the capital to Ravenna long before their fall and still called
themselves Romans.

David Best

>----------

Klibanophoros.
>Anything left over that had armoured vehciles would then be
Kataphractoi.
>For the Trapezitoi I had in mind VTOL units that scout ahead of and
support
>the main force.
>	So far so good. For the infantry I think Peltastoi is still
valid but that
>it would refer to the line infantry and Skutatoi would then be any
Powered