Prev: RE: FT Lite Next: Re: Fwd: Some interesting stats (LONG)

RE: Dirtside Engineering Rules

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:33:06 -0500
Subject: RE: Dirtside Engineering Rules

John M. Atkinon said:
Abatis is a series of herring-bone pattern trees partially felled
across a roadway.  I say partially because if you've done it right, the
tree is still attached to the stump, making it much more difficult to
push out of the way.  Then it may be filled with dirt, have mines or
booby traps emplaced, etc.
John,
I assume you meant trees felled in a herring-bone pattern. ;->= 'Old
school, executive conifers...'

That said, thanks for the clarification. I'd never seen the term, though
had seen photos, and was a bit lazy/timid to ask.

However, as SG/DS engineers are going to have to deal with many
environments(worlds of), I think we'll find that particular type of
roadblock rare. Is there a more generic military term other than
'roadblock'?

On the other hand, roadblocks vary in importance. In Western Europe, I
gather they can be well worth the time to dis-assemble. In most of the
Desert Storm campaign, I think I heard just going 'round was no problem,
not to mention trees difficult to find.

I feel that old lecture about the dangers of applying specifics to these
game systems, which I almost posted during the hull shape arguments in
FT
II, rising in my mind, so I'll shut up now...

The_Beast

Prev: RE: FT Lite Next: Re: Fwd: Some interesting stats (LONG)