Prev: NOT Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: FT Lite

Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:28:04 +0100
Subject: Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document

> The fact is, in developed worlds, resources in easy to get spots get
> depleted. Hence in the future, hard to get places may seem resource
> rich. Also, resources are generated through huge natural processes
> and many tend to be in hard to get to spots as a corollory of the way
> they are created.

Poul Anderson had a GREAT science fiction story about just such a place
in his Polsoltechnic League series. It was in two books "Satan's World"
and "Mirkihm"<sp>. The main character learned about a free planetoid
that would pass within the gravitational field of a supernova. The nova
would be expelling tremendous amounts of heavy metals (in the 1950's
[60's?] story). The main character set up a mining colony on the planet
after it passed close to the nova, but still within the a habital zone.
The cost of mining it out of the zone would make it not profitable.
Thus, it provided a bonanza of scarce heavy metals for a few years.

Sorry if I screwed up the facts of the story. It has been over a decade
since I read it. But it left a lasting impression. Well worth the read
if you can find a copy.

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: NOT Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: FT Lite