Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition(Semi OT)

Re: Tournament Fleet Wierdos

From: "John Fox [TEMP]" <John.W.Fox@E...>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 07:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Tournament Fleet Wierdos

John and John wrote the following

> John Atkinson wrote:
> ...Snip...JTL
> > Who told you that?	Missles.   Three turns endurance.  Times 18
inches
> > movement.  I dunno about anyone else, but ships start our games at
the
> > same speed as the thrust of their slowest ship.  Which generally is
> > two, unless you're one of those wierdos that likes pouring money
into
> > your drive systems.  (Which is a mistake--I've gamed against people
> > with Thrust 6 Battleships.	Just not cost-effective.)  Makes it
reaaaly
> > easy to catch someone with a Turn 2 launch.
> ...Snip...JTL
> > John M. Atkinson
>
> John,
>      Speaking as a fast battleship Wierdo, I must agree if, and only
if
> you are speaking of a single enguagement format.   In a campaign
format
> the fast battleship is a very dangerous opponent, and quite able to
> defeat a larger, slower force.  (In particular if that force depends
> too much on a missile offence.)
>
> signed,
> Commander I. M. A. Loony
> 17TH Battledreadnought Sq.
> Lafayette sector command.
>
> Bye for now,
> John L.

  Speaking as the opponent of Commander I. M. A. Loony, I got my butt
kicked by
his fast battleships when they turned away from my missiles and ran away
from my
fighters during a battle.  The extra thrust does make a difference and
if the
commander knows how to game well (hello John L.) they can cause serious
hurt.
  Also, if your one shot missiles only damage him and you are trying to
get off
the board he can at least take out some of your craft.	Also, this makes
for
dull gamming and in a campaign game you have to pay for the extra
missiles.

  John Fox

Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition(Semi OT)