Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2

RE: Targeting Missiles

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:02:18 +0100
Subject: RE: Targeting Missiles

On Thursday, April 23, 1998 8:33 PM, dean.gundberg@bcbsnd.com
[SMTP:dean.gundberg@bcbsnd.com] wrote:

>  Why can't a ship's main weapons (beam batteries mainly) target and
fire at
>  missiles?  Sure they are small but an A-batt can fire on a mass 2
system
>  defense ship that would be only slightly larger.  Missiles have a max
speed
>  that is easily beaten by other ships plus missiles can't manuver
(turn) as
>  well as a normal ship.  Fighters must be less than mass one so there
is a
>  good reason why they can't be hit but I can make a ship the size of a
missile
>  and I can shoot at the ship but not the missle so what is the
difference?

Maybe allow C-bats to engage in point defence mode as in MT. I'm not
sure
you could hit it with an A bat, on a subjective level (Hitting an exocet
with a 15 inch naval gun)

>  A likely answer is that the missile has some stealth or jamming built
in so
>  it is harder to hit but is that good enough?

Not really

>  Also I like the idea of allowing ECM from the underused enhanced and
superior
>  sensor systems to make missiles miss their target.

I think ECM should effect them

In the Honor Harrington Universe (HHU) for example its used a lot to
stop
mass missle attacks along with interlocking point defence systems

tim jones
--------

Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2