Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Fleet Book is out (in UK anyway)!

Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 02:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2

	Howdy!

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> I suspect that a 'comms roll' should almost not be necessary in most
> normal EM environments. I realize there is radio proceedure to be
> executed between squads, and that it isn't just a random blather, but
> I think this is pretty straightforward with modern comms and even
> half trained squad leaders. (Although it does add neat elements to
> the game....)

	Actually, I think that the 'comms roll' simulates the 'fog of
war'
wonderfully.  You wouldn't believe the f*^$-ups that are made in a clean
radio environment today.  True, in the (near?) future, radio procedure
will probably be simplified, radios smaller and better, etc., but there
will always be confusion, equipment failure, atmospherics, poor radio
discipline, etc.

	Laterish!

	Ken

PS	I am in a Vietnam kick right now, and the comm activity
mentioned
in McDonough's 'Platoon Leader', Cash's 'The Only War We Had', and
Lombard's 'In Country' are *wonderfully* simulated by SGII.  Quite
scary,
actually... :)

Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Fleet Book is out (in UK anyway)!