Prev: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

Re: Targeting Missiles

From: I try to never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:26:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Targeting Missiles

Dean says to all listening:

> Why can't a ship's main weapons (beam batteries mainly) target and
fire at
> missiles?  Sure they are small but an A-batt can fire on a mass 2
system
> defense ship that would be only slightly larger.  Missiles have a max
speed
> that is easily beaten by other ships plus missiles can't manuver
(turn) as
> well as a normal ship.  Fighters must be less than mass one so there
is a
> good reason why they can't be hit but I can make a ship the size of a
missile
> and I can shoot at the ship but not the missle so what is the
difference?

> A likely answer is that the missile has some stealth or jamming built
in so
> it is harder to hit but is that good enough?

That, and/or the Mass cost to the missile includes some kinda of storage
and launching system? Yeah, that thought can be shot full of holes, but
it's a thought. Run with it.

> Also I like the idea of allowing ECM from the underused enhanced and
superior
> sensor systems to make missiles miss their target.

Yep, yep, I like that idear, too.

Mk
-
"Well, you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set
fire
to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'Mara. But, it's an
imperfect
world, and we never get exactly what we want. So get used to it."

Prev: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions