Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Anime Review: Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:50:57 +0100
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

	Um I think I should have also said that only Human designs from
FT and MT
were allowed. That solves the missile problem. As a counter to your
swarm
missile fleet I'd suggest large numbers of scout ships, corvettes or
frigates backed up by a number of capitals mounting A's, AA's, PDAF's
and
maybe ADAF's (if you allow them to shoot down missiles.) The capitals
take
out some with the AA's before launch as do the escorts which have closed
the range. The Swarm now has to divide it's fire or ignore the escorts
which set about blowing them all to hell. This and lots of PDAF's give
the
capitals a much better chance to survive the Swarms single bolt while
still
taking some out. Once the storm of missiles has been weathered you clean
up
or follow them in hyper space and then clean up the swarm and any
mother/resupply ships about. Your basically looking at fighter combat
where
the individual ships have grown in size by a factor of 10. I really
think
that a missile swarm fleet is a gimmick that has suprize and novelty
value.
Good tactics should defeat it most times.