Prev: This 'A' battery is as good as any other 'A' battery. (LONG) Next: Challenger's Hope

Re: Searching the archives

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:45:30 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: Re: Searching the archives

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Tony Christney wrote:

> With Java this shouldn't be a problem. Of course, everyone who wants
> to use the search engine would need a Java 1.1 capable browser...

Java applet-based search engine strikes me as a horribly inefficient
approach. Even if one considers the material too small to rate a
permanent index file, wouldn't it be far better to run it as a servlet?
Or RMI at the very least, but servlet approach would make it
usable by any browser -- let's face it, the user interface doesn't
really
need anything CGI/forms can't provide.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: This 'A' battery is as good as any other 'A' battery. (LONG) Next: Challenger's Hope