Prev: Re: FAQ's in general Next: Re: SG2: Sniper rules suggestions..

Re: Searching the archives

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:08:10 -0700
Subject: Re: Searching the archives

>Tim Jones wrote:
>> May be a a bit of a challenge  given their format, but I'm sure
>> somewhere there is a program to search compressed
>> text files? Wiring it up with a GCI / script interface will
>> be a bit more probematical . IIRC Java 1.1 has built in
>> support for zip files so a search applet should be easy
>> and probably already exists??
>>
>> Java dudes?

Yes, Java 1.1 has support for zip/gzip files. Whether or not
someone has thought to create an applet for searching zipped
text files for particular occurences of text strings is
anyone's guess. I suggest looking at the Sun Microsystems
website at http://java.sun.com/

If someone has access to a search engine in the public
domain that is written in C/C++/Java I would be willing
to _try_ to add the required zip file support as well
as any translation to Java that may be required. I will
not write any of the searching stuff, though.

>> anyone?
>>
>> tim jones
>
>I guess I should answer this, since I think you're talking about my
archive
>site.	(8-)  (I missed the original question; I guess I should look it
>up in the archives.  (8-) )
>
>Anywas:  my ISP at home won't let me use cgi scripts; it's a security
>hole they don't want to deal with.  Personally, I don't blame them; the
>fairly recent F00F bug is just the most recent in a bunch of headaches
you
>can get if you allow even restricted CGI script access.

With Java this shouldn't be a problem. Of course, everyone who wants
to use the search engine would need a Java 1.1 capable browser...

[snip]

>Thanks,
>J.
>
>--
>Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan -
TBFTGOGGI
>"Hear me call across the waves;  If I don't come home tonight,
>I will make it home someday..."
>Paul Gross and Dave Keely - "32 Down on the Robert Mackensie"

  Tony Christney
  acc@uvic.ca

Prev: Re: FAQ's in general Next: Re: SG2: Sniper rules suggestions..