Prev: Re: Traveller Starships Next: Re: <ot>Setting up a hyper text link to a binary file</ot>

Re: What, no messages?)

From: carlparl@j... (Carl J Parlagreco)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 21:15:59 -0400
Subject: Re: What, no messages?)

On Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:53:01 -0700 John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net>
writes:
>Tony Christney wrote:
>...Snip...(JTL)
>> Interesting bit of trivia: Estimated human population of N.A. before
>> arrival of Europeans - 250 million.
>...Snip...(JTL)
>
>Tony,
>    Interesting bits of trivia like this make propaganda look like
>the truth!
>
>    While the U.S.A. is about to go thru another cencus, the last
>number I recall for population was 230 million.  I personally feel
>that if the indians numbered 250 million, the europeans would have
>been pushed into the sea.
>    I do not wish to bore everyone with doing the numbers again
>(and I am sorry for having done so!) but PC is just something
>that sets me off!

Actually, there is apparently a recent hypothesis about the Indian
population of the Americas being *much* higher than previously
estimated;
it's just that they all died off very quickly when European diseases
took
root. As a f'rinstance, when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth rock, they
found evidence that people had been living there, but nobody was around,
'cause they'd all died off.

Mind you, I haven't made up my mind on this matter, yet. I want to see
some more data. But the European diseases were extremely deadly to the
Indians.

As for being PC, trust me, I'm not.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: Traveller Starships Next: Re: <ot>Setting up a hyper text link to a binary file</ot>