Prev: RE: PBeM FT/EFSB Vector movement (Excel) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention

Re: SAGA book (was: More on painting)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:01:49 +0000
Subject: Re: SAGA book (was: More on painting)

>-- Quote --
>ith all due respect to Brian, I don't necessarily consider some
>colour plates (or at the least, patches of chosen paint schema) to be
>fluff. As FT3 is a minis game, and as people do bother to call these
>things "an ESU cruiser" or a "NAC powered infantry trooper with
>personnal plasma gun" (etc.), I think that semi "official" painting
>guides (and yes, more designs!) would be quite useful and wouldn't
>classify as fluff. Perhaps it is the material of a NetBook rather
>than a printed book (the graphics would work well that way). If I'm
>to bother buying SG2 and DS2 and FT2 (or FT3) ships, calling them
>some particular ship from some particular force, I think I'd like to
>paint them in the colours the designers (Jon and the Sculptors) had
>in mind.
>-- Unquote --
>
>I agree. I did not imply colour plates to be fluff. What I would
>consider fluff is something like the following:
>The Columbus class destroyer is manufactured by Cygnus Skunkwerks which
>produces 20 ships per year at the Roswell plant on New Cleveland. The
>ship displaces 14 smu (standard mass unit) of hydrogen. It employes the
>Louis stellar recognition system for navigation. The Marietta T-1138
IRS
>(Inertia Redirection System) engines can produce upto 10 standard
>gravity units for normal space opperations. The Grasshopper jump
engines
>have a range of 5 parsects with an average recharge time of 92 standard
>hours. The Columbus class carries the Stargarde I energy screen for
>protection against coherient energy weapons upto 5 weu (Weapon Energy
>Units) substantially increasing the combat life of the design. The main
>armament is the Alphatstar phased tachyon/photon canon with a maximum
>range of 9 light minutes an an optimal firing range of 3 light minutes.
>The dual purpose Cougar photon cannon provides both close support and
>anti-fighter/missile support for the destroyer.
>
>I would much rather see another ship or diagram fill the space rather
>than this type of fluff. However, I would not object to this type of
>fluff either if the actual playable material is equal to or more than
>the fluff.
>
>Apologies in advance to those who do not consider the above type of
>information fluff.

The Fleet Book, which is nearly finished now (due at the printers by
Easter, and for UK release before the end of the month) will have 1
paragraph of this kind of "fluff" per ship, though it won't be
technobabble
like the above - it is more along the lines of a potted history of the
class, and mentions of a few common variants and refits etc. Each ship
also
has a line drawing illustration (three-quarter view), a section of Spec
data, details of number constructed/in service etc. and a complete
ready-to-photocopy-and-use ship systems diagram.
Hopefully this mix should please MOST people....   :)

Jon (GZG)