Prev: Re: Halcyon Aliens Dropship Next: Re: Halcyon Aliens Dropship

Re: Dropships, Aliens etc. etc.

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:09:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Dropships, Aliens etc. etc.

>If something like an Aliens sentry gun was used in SGII how would it
>work in an Overwatch role without upsetting the balance of play?
>I thought at first using the reaction rule, but that would mean it
could
>only fire if an opposing squad used both actions to move in front of
it.
>I then thought: As the sentry gun is activated as a result of motion
>sensors. Its sensor range could be limited because the small size of
the
>sentry gun mount (limited horizon) to say 3 range bands. Then give the
>sensor a very tight search cone of 30 degrees. If a boggy strays at any
>time into the area, roll a die for a fire control system check. If the
>roll fails it just means the sensors didn't pick up the movement, but
if
>the roll passes then the weapon fires immediately as normal fire.
>Would this work or would it just stuff up the game play balance.

There are a couple more things to consider.  In static defence the CMC
employ both passive sensors, the motion trackers, IFF decoders, and
active
sensors such as LIDAR.	the sentry weapons ae tied into the neted by an
operator in the command center of a M577 APC, although remote command
centyers also exsist.  th eother semi-control can be the PARGET system
employed by the coy sniper.  The sniper has the facility to redirect the
guns to more efficiently bracket an enemy.

I personally tend to use the guns as a smart system (which in part they
are) and roll appropriately, however, the guns must target the closest
target unless under PARGET control.

Stuart.

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: Re: Halcyon Aliens Dropship Next: Re: Halcyon Aliens Dropship