Prev: Re: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such, Next: Re: Space Terrain

RE: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such,

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:13:54 +1000
Subject: RE: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such,

> ----------
> From: 	Andy Cowell[SMTP:cowell@icx.net]
> Subject:	Re: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules
> and such,
>
	>> In real life, I'd guess your Platoon Sgt would step up to the
mike.
	>> If he was DOA, your senior surviving Sgt. Failing that, your
senior
	>> corporal.
	>
	>Would these typically be in different squads?
	Different nationalities have different rank titles (US sergeant
is a squad leader, in OZ an UK Sgt is a Platoon Sergeant!). In fact he
fulfills the function of a 2IC. The answer is an almost unversal No, he
is in the same squad. In orders for an operation there is always a
Seniority detailed.

	>> > Maybe something like this: After loss of a leader unit
(Routed or worse),
	>> > all units	under that command take a Conf Test at TL 3.  No
unit may

	>> How would such a unit react to close assault, IYO?
	>
	>How about this:
	>When a command squad for a unit is routed or destroyed, that
unit must
	>make an immediate Confidence Test at TL 3.
> But the loss of the HQ element in total whilst being severe will not
> totally destroy the integrity of an Infantry platoon. The reactions of
> the squads/sections  will depend heavily on the training, leadership
> AND the operational mission/objectives.

One thing to consider is will the squad automatically be aware of the HQ
unit demise? The effect of the Pl HQ being wiped out may never be
discovered until the Platoon has completed its mission and is at the LZ
waiting for exfil!? If the squads are in LOS to the HQ at the moment of
destruction then maybe a test is in order but if out of LOS?

IMHO this is one of those sections of the rules that are currently
uncomplicated and it would be nice to leave it that way.

???

Owen G

Prev: Re: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such, Next: Re: Space Terrain