Prev: RE: EFSB missiles Next: Re: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such,

Decking pattern in sculpey

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:21:30 -0700
Subject: Decking pattern in sculpey

>Mark Siefert wrote:
>On a FT note:	does anybody have a reliable way of carving 'decking'
>details into things like hardened Sculpy?  (By decking, I mean to add
texture
>so that it looks like armour plate, as opposed to a solid block of
clay.
>(8-) )I built myself a bunch of Bolos from extra Renegade Legion tanks
and
> Sculpy, and put it all together.Unfortunately, I have this nice
sculpted
> chassis, and a big square block on top for a turret.	I've already
resigned
> myself into sanding the block on top into something a little more
angular,
>but putting some texture into the surface would be nice.  I'm aware
that
>since I've already fired it, it's probably too late.  Then, however, if
>people have ideas of how I can add texture that looks like plating
before I
>fire it...
>
>Thanks,
>J.

If you plan to do a lot of it, you might be able to make a decking stamp
from your favorite modelling putty (sculpey, air-set clay, 2-part
epoxy putty,etc.). Form a cylinder, use sculpting tools or matchsticks
to cut the reverse relief pattern in the end of the cylinder, and let
it stand (or bake it) until it hardens. Then use it to stamp the pattern
on your sculpey models before you bake them.

Or, with the hardened models, you could try stenciling a decking pattern
on them with an airbrush. Maybe with a fine fabric mesh, stiffened with
PVA glue (white glue) and masked with tape to the desired dimensions.
Paint the target area a darker color first, then stencil on the
"decking"
with a lighter color.

Good luck!

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: RE: EFSB missiles Next: Re: Loss of platoon/company leaders, was Re: SG2 Rules and such,