Prev: Re: [OFF TOPIC] Anyone astronomical out there? Next: Re: Spice Marines

Re: [OFF TOPIC] Anyone astronomical out there?

From: "What I wouldn't give for a holocaust cloak..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:12:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [OFF TOPIC] Anyone astronomical out there?

[re: halos about the moon]

>> I have seen this twice in my life, and it is beautiful. It is caused
>> by ice crystals suspended high in the upper atmosphere.

[...sig crunch...]

>Is it really that rare?  I see it a couple times a year in Michigan and
>Ontario.

It's really not that rare. It's unusual; it doesn't happen every night,
or
every month, but it does happen. Just need the right weather conditions.
I've seen this a fair number of times in my life (dozen or two times?).
Just
most people rarely look up, rarely look at the sky, so miss a great deal
of
the splendor that is presented to us. Light pollution doesn't help.  :-/

Mk
-
  /@		       .  .	      If you insist on reaching for a
  <|\			  .  )	      star, be prepared to take a long,
   |		     /\ 	      hard fall.
   |		    //
   /		 o //*		      Indy - climber, astronomer,
adventurer
  /		<%- /|\ 	      supreme. Have rope, will travel.

Prev: Re: [OFF TOPIC] Anyone astronomical out there? Next: Re: Spice Marines