Prev: Re: Some Thoughts on Artillery Next: Re: non-violent weapons

Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:50:31 +0000
Subject: Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

At 19:33 09/03/98 -0600, you wrote:
SNIP
>For slightly different tack........
>
>I ran across a couple of references to WWII where it was stated that
the
>50.cal HMG was regularly used in the sniper function. Using its
anchored
>tripod it was extremely stable and was fired in a single (or two
>depending on the skill of the gunner) round action. Then the gunner had
>to manually rechamber the gun to fire a next time.  Thousand yard
sniping
>was not uncommon. It may have been done in WWI but I haven't done
enough
>research to know.
>
>Tom Hughes

	The .50cal wasn't really available in WW1 (perhaps at the very
end?), being devised as an anti-tank weapon- I seem to recall that it
was,
for a while, illegal to use it directly against personnel.  On the
long-range sniping point, another goodie was the otherwise obsolete
anti-tank rifle (PTRD & PTRS) as used by the Red Army in WW2- they
remained
numerous in Soviet infantry units to the end of the war.

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Once again, villainy is rotting meat
before the maggots of justice!"
"

Prev: Re: Some Thoughts on Artillery Next: Re: non-violent weapons