Prev: Re: How about MANCHESTER Thrust? Next: Re: Games Worksop (was Supplier contacts anyone?)

Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:54:03 -0800
Subject: Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

At 10:29 AM 3/8/1998 -0800, John L. wrote:
>     I fear the 50 cal is in this league, as it just goes right
>thru the poor grunt.
>     I have read that germans used the quad 20 flak on the eastern
>front, against russian infantry, with astounding success.

	You have to recall that in the Vietnam war we converted several
RFAC or
Vulcan cannons and placed them on trucks to help fight the human wave
attacks from the VC.  The front line of the human wave was armed with
rifles and succeeding waves were armed with lesser weapons all the way
down
to spears...  The last wave picked up the weapon of his fallen camrade
from
the front wave and continued on.  We discovered that the Vulcan (AKA GE
sixpack, would mow down these waves, particularly /because/ it went
through
the first guy and into the next...  More importantly, with its
stabalized
platform, it could put a huge volume of firepower into an area to almost
increase the number of hits...
	StarGrunt already says that a size 1 weapon and its mount can be
carried
by a crew...  the HMGs seem redundant at this point.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: How about MANCHESTER Thrust? Next: Re: Games Worksop (was Supplier contacts anyone?)