Prev: Re: timing of an eastern canadian con Next: RE: going to try SGII (long)

Re: Non Violent Weapons

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:58:31 -0800
Subject: Re: Non Violent Weapons

>*Some Snippage*
>
>>I'll list here briefly the weapons/technologies I've considered and
>>ask anyone to supplement my idea pool
>>
>>wax/rubber bullets, beanbags (GL and shotgun), net grenades, stun
>>grenades, CS/CN grenades, sonics, neural disrupters, tasers, stun
>>guns (a la 9 Volt model currently available), Shock gloves, Riot
>>armour and shields (w truncheons), slippy/sticky foam, firehose, dart
>>guns, tranq needlers, solidifying foam, and some defences against
>>some of the above.
>>
>>Anybody think of any other technologies I should have?
>
>	From an article in, I think, Newsweek last year I can remember
two
>different Nonlethal weapon systems, both currently in development.  The
one
>projects Microwaves at the target, causing EXTREME nausea and
>disorientation.  Naturally, this has the potential to be fatal.

Don't forget that microwaves can also cause corneal damage leading
to blindness. Which brings up a point: old microwaves are actually
quite dangerous. My guess is that if your microwave is more than
~10 years old, you should probably replace it.

>It was mentioned that this microwave projector could be used to create
>barricades--the closer you get, the worse you feel.  The other, which I
>cannot remember the name of, projects a sort of doughnut shaped shock
wave
>which created an effect like being hit with a very large, padded
>hammer--the impact was enough to knock a target down, but not enough to
do
>any real damage.  From what I recall, the inventor had tested it on
himself
>a few times to ensure that it was non lethal.

Someone else mentioned pepper spray. The problem with that is that there
some (admittedly few) people who just aren't affected by the stuff.
In the city I live in (Victoria, B.C.) there was a case where a citizen
was stopped by police who proceeded to attempt a search (the cops said
that
he "looked suspicious" ?!?!). When he resisted the police sprayed him.
He
ended up beating the snot out of both cops. The spray had no effect on
him.
He ended up charging the police and won!

>John Crimmins
>johncrim@voicenet.com

  Tony Christney
  acc@uvic.ca

Prev: Re: timing of an eastern canadian con Next: RE: going to try SGII (long)