Prev: Re: Some Thoughts on Artillery Next: Re: GZG Ontario Con - Request

Re: Casting your own mini

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:01:07 +0000
Subject: Re: Casting your own mini

>>I've often wondered how to do it and have tons (almost literally) of
>>fantasy minis for lead.  I don't have the first clue on how to create
>>miniature though, is there a book or kit, can I do this with out
>>spending a lot of money?
>>
>>Dr Tachyon
>>tachyon1@ix.netcom.com
>
>In the UK, Alec Tiranti Ltd (supplier of casting rubber, sculpting
tools
>etc.) do some useful booklets on creating masters and making moulds - I
>guess someone in the US must do something similar. However, reading a
>booklet on it won't give you the skill needed to sculpt a miniature
well -
>only talent and practice can do that (just like reading a book on
painting
>ceilings would not automatically make you the next Michaelangelo)....
>
>Jon (GZG)

Replying to my own reply (!):

The aforementioned Tiranti also sell small kits of rubber, modelling
wax,
metal, talc, ladle etc etc as hand-casting starter kits; expensive
compared
to buying the stuff in bulk of course, but an economical way of getting
small amounts of everything you need to get started.
Again, I'm sure some suppliers in the US must do something similar - try
searching for sculptors' and artists' materials suppliers.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Some Thoughts on Artillery Next: Re: GZG Ontario Con - Request