Prev: Re: going to try SGII Next: Re: Solitaire robots for FT

RE: going to try SGII

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:46:08 +1000
Subject: RE: going to try SGII

> ----------
> From: 	Andy Skinner[SMTP:askinner@avs.com]
> Subject:	Re: going to try SGII
>

	>>  As to the question of a given figure....................
	>Is there a specific rule saying that this guy can't add
firepower and
	>support to a squad?  Or firepower in one action, support in
another,
	>still keeping the rule about one weapon not being used twice in
an
	>activation?
Let's think about what you are asking? I have a fire team with a support
weapon, say a SAW. During the firefight he is directed to put fire into
a position directly to his front. Meanwhile the Squad Leader is
directing the  remainder of the squad to fire at a second position or
perhaps at the same position as the SAW. Is the SAW gunner going to put
his Minimi down and pull around his 16A2 to have a second shot? The two
Actions in an activation I think are best meant to represent the ability
for a squad to carry out fire and movement over a short period of time
ie approx 5 minutes or co-ordinate fires from two separate fire teams.

SGII is written somewhat loosely in some sections; this being one of
them. I think it is important to remember what is stressed way back in
the beginning of the rules "play to the spirit" of the game and this,
from our experience, resolves about 90% of rules queries!

Our club is running a competition in Sep and there will be about 4
Referees floating who will have played all the scenarios in the comp and
will have a pretty good handle on the rules, but more importantly, will
be ruling on the basis of fair and reasonable as opposed to "but it
doesn't say I can't do it in the rules".

	>> you are given to play the game or to achieve objectives.
Which
	>> brings me around to another point - what is the objective of
the
	>> scenario you intend to play??  -KR

	>I think a simple encounter battle will be sufficient for my
first game.
	>I'm looking forward to more than that later.

Hey Andy please don't rely on the PA ruling the battlefield with
impunity. Every game we've played so far the PA have not faired well by
trying to go it alone. given that PA are generally used in a one to two
ratio means that you should have two squads of plain grunts to each
squad of 'tin cans'. If the PA are not used purely as shock troops then
they will invariably get bogged down by taking suppression after
suppression and eventually will start taking casualties! Having said
that, it only takes them getting one close assault in and the result is
usually a walkover (literally!).

Persoanlly I place PA in the same class as armour; use them to inflict
shock action and deliver the coup de grace in an attack but don't expect
them to hold ground or survive long without regular infantry backup.

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: Re: going to try SGII Next: Re: Solitaire robots for FT