Prev: Re: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB Next: Re: DirtSide II tables

Re: DS Rule Clarifications

From: tanker@b...
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 11:31:49 -0800
Subject: Re: DS Rule Clarifications

At 06:53 PM 3/1/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Woods and GEV/Grav Vehicles:
>GEV and Grav vehicles are prohibited from entering woods...not even the
>edges.  Surely  if a tracked vehicle can go through then a Grav vehicle
can
>glide through the same path, even a bit faster becasue its a meter or 2
>above the ground and avoiding logs etc ?  In the scenario, all the
>defending forces set up hidden and dug in...Would it be a scenario
spefici
>rule to have tank scrapes in the tree line ?  Can these vehicles
manouvre
>into the tree line but not into the guts of the forest ?

As with regular tracked tanks, you run the risk of smacking into the
tops
of trees. If I ever annoyed my driver he would "accidently" saddle up
close
to some trees with long limbs and give me a good whack if I wasn't
paying
attention. When we play though we always allow all vehicles to enter the
tree line 1" from the edge. This represents the vehicles moving into
semi-prepped spots.

>Hidden Units:
>According to the rules, a hidden unit is revealed the first time it is
>activated or an opposing player's unit has LOS to it.	Again, the
defenders
>were dug in/hidden etc but on the first activation of the first turn a
>single vehicle topped a hill and just about everything was revealed !
This
>seems a bit unrealistic given that the defenders were in prepared
>positions.  We decided that for the rest of the game, hidden units were
>revealed if they moved or fired (and so could call in Arty on
preregistered
>targets without revealing themselves) or if a unit came within LOS AND
6"
>of the unit in cover.	 This assumed the units had everything shutdown,
cam
>and thermal nets in place etc.  If the hidden unit wished to move or
fire,
>it had to flash up its systems.  If it flashed up it could then either
fire
>OR conduct a 1/2 move.

We don't use the regular hidden movement rules either. We play that any
hidden unit remains so until spotted in LOS or it fires. So we allow
movement out of LOS to remain hidden. Any unit spotted remains spotted.
We
throw in a few dummy counters to make life interesting. This seems to
work
just fine.

>CC and Follow Ups:
>The follow up after successful CC move was used heaps.  Is there any
limit
>to how many follow ups a unit can do ?  We had a Power Armour platoon
>infiltrate an urban area (where the HQ troop and a BR Grav Vehicle was)
and
>move into CC with a dismounted Observer.  He retired form the combat
>(suprisingly).  The PA followed up and CCed the HQ guys.  They fell
back.
>The PA followed up and CCed the Grav Vehicle, etc.  Can they really
keep
>going and going as long as they win and pass the CONF check for the
follow
>up move ?  It seemed like they would cross the whole board in 1
activation!

Good question. We have had the same thing happen on a couple of
occasions.
Same question goes for Stargrunt as well.

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@best.com

"If I had time...to study war, I think I should concentrate almost
entirely
on the 'actualities of war,' the effects of tiredness, hunger, fear,
lack
of sleep, weather....The principles of strategy and tactics...are
absurdly
simple: it is the actualities that make war so complicated and so
difficult, and are usually neglected by historians."

--FM Archibald Wavell to B.H. Liddell Hart (as quoted in "Frontsoldaten:
The German Soldier in World War Two" by Stephen G. Fritz.)

Prev: Re: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB Next: Re: DirtSide II tables