Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Re: Gamer girls can go to #$%&!!!

Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Brian Bell <Brian.Bell@a...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:58:56 +0000
Subject: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

> Or else have so many fighters that they cloud the spacelanes.... (But
> that wouldn't be practical in any sane universe....)

I can think of only one universe where this would be practical:
 1) The only way to travel between the stars is through fixed jump gates

 2) Fuel is the most limiting factor in space travel due to cost.
In this style of universe, ships would carry just enough fuel to get to
the jump gate and from the gate to the destination. A 1 degree change in
vector could cause a 3x or more cost in fuel to get back to the correct
course or destination. Pirates/Ambushers would place ships or fighters
along the most cost effective route from the planet to the jump gate.
Granted if fuel is the biggest cost, fighters would not be used as they
burn fuel more quickly.

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Re: Gamer girls can go to #$%&!!!