Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY

Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:15:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

BEST, David wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have been doing some number crunching on how difficult it would be
> hit a ship with lasers once the targeting system had locked on and I
> thought I would share it with you.  This is by no means exhaustive but
> it is accurate for the premises.

Snipage!

> if you can target it you will hit it.  It also means if the laser is
> pointing at a fighter which is closing to kill the laser will hit
every
> time as at that distance the laser is just travelling too fast to
miss.

> This doesn't mean though that I will change the way I play the games,
> this is after all sci-fi
>
> David Best

In one of the last few Challenge Mags, the Frank Chadwick (the dude who
was
running GDW at the time...)  Wrote an artical about this.  He was saying
somthing like the focusing lens for the laser would have to be 6 meters
across (!) to hit a target 1000 kilometers away...  I am not sure of the
numbers, I don't have the mag in front of me right now.

I just assume that someone somewhere in the game universe did the
research,
and solved problems like this...

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!? Next: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY