Prev: Re: GZG Temporarily Unavailable Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?

Re: Hammer's Slammers

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:09:29 +0000
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers

<johncrim@voicenet.com>
>writes:
>>	I've recently been reading David Drake's Hammer's Slammers,
>>after putting
>>the task off for far too long (I read his "Northworld" series long
>>ago, and
>>absolutely hated it--this managed to put me off Drake for quite a
>>while),
>>and I have been toying with the idea of creating the Slammers for
>>DSII.
>>This, of course, means that I have to find some proper minis....  I've
>>decided to use the DSII version of the "Slammer" hovertank, both
>>because
>>it's a nice figure and because it fits the descriptions given in the
>>stories pretty well.	What I need to find are a good match for the
>>Slammer's Combat Cars.  They are "seven meters long and three wide at
>>the
>>base, the armored sides curving up like a turtle's back to the open
>>fighting compartment in the rear." (Hammer's Slammers, page 85).  Any
>>ideas?  The infantry doesn't much concern me--not at this scale.  And
>>mid-tech troops ought to do.
>
>I always imagined a German SdKfz 250 or 251 half-track from WW2. You'd
>have to convert. I've got a plastic 1/35 scale SdKfz 250 that I did
this
>for StarGrunt. I built a frame around the track areas and around the
>wheel areas. Then I put kleenex on it and soaked it in elmer's glue and
>water. When it dried, it looked like a fabric skirt. Now I just have to
>base it with cotton on the bottom to represent the dust. Looks great! I
>think it might be a trickier job to convert the 1/285 figures, though.
>Or, it might be a whole lot easier! Maybe some putty or something,
>slapped onto the tread areas, would work.

Scotia (Simtac in the US) have an open-topped GEV in their 6mm range
that
makes a passable combat car; funnily enough, it IS a converted SdKfz 251
with an added hover skirt!! It even has 3 (IIRC) pintle-mount gun
positions
to represent the tribarrels....

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: GZG Temporarily Unavailable Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?