Prev: Decoy Launchers Next: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

Re: Real world? Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:14:24 -0600
Subject: Re: Real world? Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage

Jonathan Jarrad:
I always pictured the big super tanks being tricked out in 'dazzle'
paint like was used on ships in the World Wars.  Since the actual
location that is hit on an ogre/bolo is important, breaking up their
outline and providing false visual clues about their actual size,
facing, and speed would be very important, especially if the beast has
succeeded in spoofing your radar/IR/MAG/etc sensors.
Me:
Excellent point, and one to which I alluded, slightly, in a latter
comment.
However, just for completeness, I'd like to point out that dazzle paint
was
mostly for subs, and the effect was to confuse the Mark I eyeballing of
target ship baring(sp? damn homonyms), necessary for figuring torpedo
run
plotting. Mostly apropos of how a shot should 'lead' a moving target.

Never considered location targetting considerations. Kewl!

Jonathan Jarrad:
Now one of the least 'jammable' types of sensor is a visual one, whether
it
is your eye or a camera.

Me:
Well, dust, smoke, brush, an earlier mention of bright lights, night
manuvers, camo, etc., all seem to fit the idea of visual jamming, but,
as I
said earlier, I agree that eyes still are the most versatile sensor
going,
and all the others are still just extensions.

However, the aforementioned holo displays are also such extensions, and,
at
extreme long ranges, would probably be the weak link in battle control,
and
the attendent strengths and weaknesses would be the ones requiring the
strongest consideration.

As an aside, are folks aware that, during WWII, people with red-green
colorblindness were often used to defeat camo paint schemes?

Also, SJ's comments allowed that the units themselves might be camo'd,
but
that the tabletop could represent the displays, and so your figs might
well
be 'flashy'.

Trying to get back to DS/SG/FT, still goes back to 'paint 'em how you
like.'

The_Beast

Prev: Decoy Launchers Next: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers