Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

Re: Weapon Question

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:33:11 -0800
Subject: Re: Weapon Question

chad wrote:

> I was working up some conversions for Full Thrust based on Star Trek
> (actually, Starfleet Battles) and have come to the Hydrons.  I have
worked
...Snip...(JTL)
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Version I
> Mass 3 +1/arc, Cost 10 +5/arc, may only be mounted with no more
than two arcs.
> Damage and range is as per A-Batt.  However, all hits by the HB
do damage as if the target had 1 less level of shield (this is total,
not per HB and only HB damage is modified in this way).
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Version II
> Mass 3 +1/arc, Cost 10 +5/arc, may only be mounted with no
 more than two arcs.
> Damage and range is as per A-Batt.  However, for each point
 of damage that a ships sustains from a HB(s) each shield must
 survive a special HB-Threshold check.	This check is on a 6+
and is not modified (as other threshold checks are) by previous
 checks nor does it modify any future threshold checks.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...Snip...(JTL)
  Got plenty of time to work this out as the next
> battle is a Klingon/Fed battle anyhow.  The Hydrons are for a friend
who
> has collected the fleet and wants to give Full Thrust a try.
>
> Chad

Chad,
     My initial feelings are that this is very close to a
pulse torpedo in its ability to do damage.   The two arc
mounting makes it VERY useful, at a VERY reasonable point
cost.
     In version I the weapon is perhaps a less ambitious in concept,
but more likely to be acceptable to a wider range of players.
     In version II it will clean off the shields on any
ship in three turns (most of the time).   The weapon is under priced
and over powered, and I suspect that it will destroy play balence.

Suggestion:   Allow the use of the pulse torpedo in a two arc
mounting to start.

Question: If one race is getting its special racial weapon
from SFB what about the other guys?   Will the gatling 'C'
battery be the next thing to show up?(roll 3d6 and take the
best one, or 3d6 vs fighters and missiles?)

I would give both versions a try, pick the best.

Good luck,
John L.

Prev: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles Next: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles