Prev: Re: [ADMIN] Recent spam message Next: Calvary

Re: [ADMIN] Recent spam message

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 00:35:21 GMT
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Recent spam message

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:48:05 +0000, Jonathan white <jw4@bolton.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Upon examination, it appears the list was set to allow anyone to post.
This
>has now been changed so that only subscribers may post messages.

Thanks for changing that, Jon. That should protect us in the future.
Occassionally we get someone posting a "subscribe" command to the list
instead of the request address, so will those people get a bounce or
will their messages just go into limbo? Either way, this is good
protection from spam.

I agree that some bot probably picked up the list's address from a web
site. I suggest that web sites should have the mailing list server's
address as a mailto (to help new people subscribe) but the mail
address itself should just be text with no mailto tag.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: [ADMIN] Recent spam message Next: Calvary