Prev: Re: Re[4]: DSII damage chit chart. Next: Your Emails

Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:40:51 +0100
Subject: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

Jerry Han wrote:

> One thing that has always confused me about 'monofilament' and
'monomolecular'
> type devices; the entire thing has to be monofilament before it'll cut
through,
> right?  Otherwise the thing has a really nice edge, but it won't punch
through
> anything i.e. monomolecular tipped spikes don't mean anything unless
the
> whole thing was monomolecular; which kind of limits the damage you
could
> produce unless you manage to vent the fusion reactor.

Most fishing lines (...is that the English word for the thing between
the
rod and the hook?) I've seen are monofilament wires. While you can use
them
for strangling people or cutting their heads off (if you're strong
enough),
I'm not too convinced about cutting up tanks with them :-)

'Monomolecular' devices has a cutting edge one molecule thin. This is
extremely sharp, and therefore has an easier time cutting through
things.
The rest of the device (blade, thread, whatever) does not need to be as
thin; if they're not, they'll act as a wedge in a crack instead. The
thinner the wedge is the easier the slicing will be, of course.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Re[4]: DSII damage chit chart. Next: Your Emails