Prev: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background) Next: Re: Fighter surviability...

Re: Dimension

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:23:16 +0100
Subject: Re: Dimension

Jon T. wrote:

> Having said that, I think if you ARE keen on doing 3D then the
ATTITUDE
of
> the ships is much more important that just their relative "height"
above
> the playing surface - this is something that Mark has touched on with
his
> arc comments here, but something seldom addressed in those games that
> purport to be 3D, especially those using counters (RL Leviathan, IIRC,
did
> have limited attitude rules worked by turning the "box" counter
around,
> even though it was not actually 3D).

Well... Leviathan allows you to roll your ship upside-down to present
your
least-damaged broadside to the enemy, but there's no 3D movement and no
"up" or "down" arcs. I've done the same in FT for a long time now (1/2
your
maneuver thrust rolls the ship upside down) with good results. However,
if
you use the vector movement rules (eg from EFSB), you get almost the
same
result by flying your ship backwards (especially if you're Centauri
<g>)! A
note in the order sheet suffices to keep track of which ship is
upside-down
and which is not.

> We could probably work some simple(ish) attitude rules (even just
allowing
> ships to "roll" 180 degrees) into FT, without getting bogged down with
> actual 3D play.

I strongly recommend this.

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Ceasefire and Summary (was FT Background) Next: Re: Fighter surviability...