Prev: RE: Another Dimension Next: Re: Paul's Catalogue page..

Re: Fighter use in FT

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:07:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighter use in FT

>Instead of using them autonomously for long-range BVR (Well actually
BDR
><beyond detction range> of the main fleet that launched them.) fighter
only
>strikes, they are used in main fleet actions in support of capital
ships.

My use of fighters depends greatly on the numbers involved. If I use a
carrier I tend to send all the fighter groups against one ship, though I
must admit I think 12 inches is too slow for fighters so I do tend to
double all fighter speeds.  Typically on a carrier I use a flight of
topedo
fighters, a flight of interceptors for torpedo escort and four flights
of
heavy fighters for general stuff.  I feel using this mix a carrier wort
of
fighters can then act independantly in front of the fleet.  If I only
have
a couple of groups (deployed from an escort carrier/bdn) I tend to keep
these close as escorts, or when required I send them after crippled
ships
for a killing blow rather than use good ships to chase a crippled ship.

OK, so I don't know if this matches any current doctrine as I think I'm
one
of the rare ones on the list who doesn't actually know anything about
current airforces and fleets.  Although, from being in the reserves I
did
learn a little about tabbing under a Bergen doing infantry stuff,
perhaps
that's why my Stargrunt guys ride round in APCs :-)

Stuart.

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: RE: Another Dimension Next: Re: Paul's Catalogue page..