Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Re: The symbol test

RE: Superdrone

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 21:29:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: Superdrone

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, ROBERTSON,Brendan wrote:

> Don't forget that 3 PDAFs could potentially wipe out the entire
squadron
> in one round.
> Let's see...
> 3 PDAFs=9 points, 6 superdrones=200 points.
> Looks like a fair tradeoff to me.
> Also - Fleet carrier of 1200 points against balanced fleet = dead
fleet
> carrier, with the potential of losing every drone.
>
> 'Neath Southern Skies
> *********************

This gets back to the 'supertank' thread we had last month (I think it
was
called "Helltank/Helltank Destroyer") in which it was concluded, more or
less, that in a fight between a 'balanced' combined-arms force and a
couple of freak-tanks, the balanced force would win...the same rational
applies to these SuperDrone fighters - I'll take a balanced 1200pt task
force, you take this SuperDrone Fleet CV - you'll lose, betcha...

Supervehicles, as another poster pointed out, thrive in 'hothouse'
enviroments - the feudal, restrained BattleTech universe, fancy
armour/drives/etc - but in a system w/ 'realistic' rules these
freak-vehicles are dead meat...

Even in a 'hothouse' game universe, if you use a strategic campaign
setting, I'd rather have half-a-dozen ships/units than one superunit -
you
can be in one place, while I'm in half a dozen, probing and raiding...

To finally get to my point, the SuperDrone is merely the
supertank/Orge/etc translated into FT terms, with most of the drawbacks
such units have...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST! Next: Re: The symbol test