Prev: RE: Full Thrust Webring Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:09:41 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Jerry Han wrote:

> Now, what happens to computer pilots when their radar is jammed?  Or
> fails?  Or returns ghost signals?

Well, if its one of the reactive networks/subsumpive I spend a lot of
time
hacking on and developing at work and for my own amusement, it reacts a
whole /heck/ of a lot faster than a human operator to the change in its
imput quality (after all, you'd be an idiot to not put in a detection
module that does nothing but recognize when a sensor input is of
diminished quality, which would then remove some of the activation
energy
that modules depending on that data receive ...) and proceeds to 'open a
keg of whup-ass' on its opponents.

> I guess my point is:	in a 1 v 1 scenario, head-on, no positional
> advantage, the computer pilot does have the edge.  But how many times
> does this happen in warfare?

Never, which is why reactive/subsumptive/spreading-activation networks
are
becoming such a hot topic in robotics these days along with hybrid
designs
which incorporate traditional AI techniques alongside the newer
less-hierarchial styles.

A human is just a really big parallel neural network, after all.
There's
no reason to believe that there's some mystical falderall which will
forever seperate the performance of humans and machines, /especially/ in
high-stress, limited-field areas like combat via machines themselves
which
depend heavily on computational power in the first place.

> whatever the hell we want (8-) ), but brute force computations aren't
> the answer for a combat AI.  Perhaps some kind of optimized neural
net...

The AI community hasn't done simple brute-force computation of over a
decade now.  Wake up and smell the 90's.  :)

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: RE: Full Thrust Webring Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)