Prev: FT Decals Next: Re: Full Thrust Webring

Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:24:07 +0000
Subject: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

At 17:17 11/02/98 -0500, you wrote:
SNIP
>> One would presume that if your ship computing core was something
analogues
>> to an organic brain, you would ensure regular scans to detect such
>> anomolies.
>
>True. But such an organic technology might have expensive support
>requirements and hence such tumors translate in high cost terms. PLUS
>the brain is complex and do you really want to risk your core system
>going wonky while you are 100 LY from home.

	Then again, an organic computer is only going to get cancer if
its
cells have a replication system;  most brain tumours involve the support
system (glial cells etc.) rather than the neurons themselves, and these
could be replaced with non-cellular, essentially machine, components.

	Personally, I prefer human/whatever fighter pilots for the same
reason I prefer cinematic ship movement- fun.  Drone fighters don't have
the
same kind of involvement (unless they're fully sentient types such as
those
of the Culture).

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Once again, villainy is rotting meat
before the maggots of justice!"
"

Prev: FT Decals Next: Re: Full Thrust Webring