Prev: RE: Some FT background stuff Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

From: Brian Bell <Brian.Bell@a...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:53:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

>> tunnelling, particle spin reversion and things like that. I would say
that
>> translight comms was actually a requirement of any large interstellar

>> society - could the US manage it's fleets without radio?
>>

>Today, no. But in the age of sail, huge empires managed without
instantaneous
>communications. There are plenty of scifi stories written along these
lines.
[cut]

>Plus, gives that good, old-fashioned 'High Colonial' feel to the game.
:)

One of my favorite fiction backgrounds if the Polsoltechnic League
(early fiction by Poul Anderson). This background has multipule sentient
species, and a galatic range. But no FTL communications. They use small
courier torpedos (micro FTL engine, guidance system, and a recording
device) to send messages FTL distances.
--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html

Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb

Prev: RE: Some FT background stuff Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!